While this applies to Florida, most of these steps are applicable nationwide to help you set up a small business.
1. Check to see if your fictitious business name is available at Sunbiz.org.
2. Decide if you will register as a limited liability company (LLC) or incorporation (INC).
3. Register your fictitious business with www.sunbiz.org
4. Once registered and approved, complete EIN application.
5. Apply for a business license for a fictitious name with the tax collector’s office.
6. Use the above documents to open a bank business account.
7. If you decided on an LLC, now decide if you wish to be taxed as an S Corp.
8. If an S Corp is desired, complete Form 2553.
If you have suggestions to help someone who wants to start a business, please leave a comment.
Well, that’s it in a nutshell. Of course, there are situations unique to you so that’s when you reach out for help. Check with your local small business resource office, like the Small Business Development Center (SBDC). Annette Washington with Washington Woods Accounting is my accountant and she shared this helpful list to help others like me to ensure the basics are covered.